Re: TLS and browse foreign server

From: Joel Reicher
Subject: Re: TLS and browse foreign server
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 01:43:19 GMT

Thomas Christensen <thomasc@thomaschristensen.org> writes:

> Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> writes:
>
> > Thomas Christensen <thomasc@thomaschristensen.org> writes:
> >
> >> When I hit B in the group buffer og get to browse a foreign server.  I
> >> then type nnimap RET server RET, which lets me browse my IMAP service.
> >>
> >> Is there any way during this process I can convince Gnus to connect
> >> via TLS?  I know I can set it up in my .emacs et al to use TLS but I
> >> often subscribe to groups through the browse interface and would like
> >> to utilize TLS some times.
> >
> > Is it just browsing you want or does it absolutely have to be browsing
> > of a foreign server?
>
> I actually browse a lot of servers and temporarily subscribe to some
> of the groups.  So I use browse foreign server a lot.

OK, I think I've found a way. The 'B' command seems just to be a
convenience to add a server and browse it from the group buffer. You
can do what you want manually by entering the server buffer with '^',
adding a server with 'a', and then editing that server's select method
with 'e'. Then browse away.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

        - Joel