Re: TLS and browse foreign server

From: Thomas Christensen
Subject: Re: TLS and browse foreign server
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:57:24 +0100

Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> writes:

> Thomas Christensen <thomasc@thomaschristensen.org> writes:
>
>> When I hit B in the group buffer og get to browse a foreign server.  I
>> then type nnimap RET server RET, which lets me browse my IMAP service.
>>
>> Is there any way during this process I can convince Gnus to connect
>> via TLS?  I know I can set it up in my .emacs et al to use TLS but I
>> often subscribe to groups through the browse interface and would like
>> to utilize TLS some times.
>
> Is it just browsing you want or does it absolutely have to be browsing
> of a foreign server?

I actually browse a lot of servers and temporarily subscribe to some
of the groups.  So I use browse foreign server a lot.

> The best way to do what you want, I think, is to put the obvious entry
> in the gnus-secondary-select-methods list and then browse the server
> from the server buffer, subscribing groups that way.

I have done this with my major servers (IMAP, gmane, etc) - no problem
with TLS there.

> After all, if
> you're subscribing you don't want these groups to be ephemeral, right?

The ones with temporary nature makes ephemeral acceptable.

> By the way, I would use .gnus for gnus settings, not .emacs.

I like M-x customize-group RET gnus, which causes it to be .emacs ;)

                Thomas