Cannot get nntp-open-via-rlogin-and-netcat to work

From: Michael Ekstrand
Subject: Cannot get nntp-open-via-rlogin-and-netcat to work
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:34:31 -0500

I'm trying to get Gnus connecting to my Leafnode server via SSH and
Netcat, thus far to no avail.  I have the following as my select method:

      '(nntp "news.elehack.net"
             (nntp-address "news.elehack.net")
             (nntp-port-number 119)
             (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-via-rlogin-and-netcat)
             ; (nntp-pre-command "testrun.sh")
             (nntp-via-rlogin-command "ssh")
             (nntp-via-user-name "michael")
             (nntp-end-of-line "\n")
             (nntp-via-address "border.elehack.net"))

Inserting a (message) call into the nntp-open-via-rlogin-and-netcat
function indicates that it is building a reasonable command line.
However, I can't get it to connect successfully.  The "testrun.sh"
script is a script which echos its command line arguments to a log file
and then runs them; when I use it as a pre-command, it never logs
anything, so it seems like the connection function is never actually
starting a process.

What can I do to get this working?  I've tried in both Gnus 5.13 in the
current emacs-snapshot Debian package, and No Gnus 0.4 in Emacs 24.1
(whatever is in Ubuntu 6.06's gnus package, it's what they have
installed at school).

Thanks,
- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.