Re: re-specifying ~/News and ~/Mail

From: Martin Geisler
Subject: Re: re-specifying ~/News and ~/Mail
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 08:17:17 +0100

Pablo Sanchez <dev.null@blueoakdb.com> writes:

> Martin Geisler <mg@daimi.au.dk> writes:
>
>> I think you want to change either this variable:
>>
>> `gnus-home-directory'
>> `gnus-directory'
>> `message-directory'
>>
>> [ snipped ]
>
> Thank you.
>
>> When searching for a variable controlling something, then it is
>> often useful to search with M-x apropos-value for the value in
>> question.
>
> Thank you for the hint as I rather learn to `fish than to be fed a
> fish.' :)

Yeah, me too :-) That apropos command is really powerful!

I found the gnus-home-directory and gnus-directory variables in the
Gnus Info manual, but I had to search with apropos-value for the
message-directory variable (although I ought to have guessed the name
since it is so similar to the other names).

> I thought I'd try it out. After entering 'M-x apropos-value' I
> entered 'gnus.*directory' At this point I received a `stack overflow
> in regexp matcher'
>
> Am I doing sometihng incredibly lame?

I get the same error. I guess it is understandable since your regexp
is matched against all variable *values*, and some of these values are
apparently too big to be searched with that a regexp. If you search
with a regexp that does not require as much backtracking, then it
works fine:

  M-x apropos-value RET gnus.\{1,10\}directory

returns matches in my Emacs.

--
Martin Geisler

VIFF (Virtual Ideal Functionality Framework) brings easy and efficient
SMPC (Secure Multi-Party Computation) to Python. See: http://viff.dk/.