Re: Automatically authenticating at local imap server

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Automatically authenticating at local imap server
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 10:06:41 +0100

Hi Reiner,

>> Everytime I start Gnus it asks me how to logon at the local IMAP
>> server, but instead I want that it uses the username and password
>> that are in my ~/.authinfo.
>>
>> Here's the Gnus side of the configuration:
>>
>> ,----[ ~/.gnus.el ]
>> | (require 'nnir)
>> | (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>> |              '(nnimap "Fastmail"
>> |                       (nnimap-address "localhost")
>> |                       (nnimap-server-port 143)
>
> If you use a standard port, you can omit it here.

I removed that line and edebugged the two functions and all worked as
expected.  In fact, exactly this line triggeres the bug.

The problem is, that in my ~/.authinfo I specified the port as imap (or
now I omit it) and on the gnus side I said 143.  So
`netrc-machine-user-or-password' is called with ports = ("143") and
defaults = ("imap" "imaps") which won't find a match.

I think the right fix would be to add "143" and "993" to the call of
`netrc-machine-user-or-password' in `nnimap-open-connection', because
these are the default ports for imap and imaps.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.