Re: Gnus seems to not notice some emails

From: Ross A. Laird
Subject: Re: Gnus seems to not notice some emails
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:30:52 -0800

I thought I'd reply to my own post since no one seems to be able to help
with my particular problem. I have, in fact, narrowed it down a bit:
it's the agent. Somehow this problem is related to two circumstances:

IF I do not use gnus for some period of time (perhaps longer than the
expiry time, but I have no idea);

AND I return to using gnus later (say, a month later);

THEN gnus exhibits the failure-to-notice problem.

I discovered that it was not only new messages that gnus was failing to
notice; it was also all messages (read and unread) that had moved
through the mail account since the last time I had used gnus. So,
somehow gnus is deciding to ignore everything after a certain date and
ignore everything new as well -- but only when I stop using it (and
this has typically been because I encountered a similar problem, or
because some fancy new version of mutt or Thunderbird arrived, and I
wanted to experiment).

I deleted all data that seemed relevant in the agent folder and now gnus works
perfectly. But it's odd, this problem.

Ross

--
Ross A. Laird, PhD