prob. bugs in emacs under ubuntu

From: yjgzhang
Subject: prob. bugs in emacs under ubuntu
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:27:49 -0800 (PST)

I encountered the same problems here with emacs under ubuntu. I used
to use emacs under Fedora and Mandriva. The emacs under those two
linux distributions has no problem at all. But when i transfered to
ubuntu, I have the same problems, i.e., the selected region using
keyboard can not be highlighted. E.g, when you using \C+space mark a
begining of a region, and then using the left or right arrows to move
the cursor, nothing happened (it supposed to extend the region from
the position where \C + space marked). However, when I reach the end
of the region, and using alt+w to cut it, it still works. This problem
is very annoying when you using the keyboard for editing in Emacs,
because you can not see the selected region, they are in darks.

I also try to emacs -q to ignore my profile, the same thing happened.
Does anyone can tell me how to solve this problem?

Thanks.