Re: troubles after have changed locale ISO-8859-15 to utf8

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: troubles after have changed locale ISO-8859-15 to utf8
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 20:03:00 +0900

> I think that I have still some problems with my locales. When I enter
> a folder name (interactive prompt i.e: keyboard) accents are fine, but
> when I use the format-time-string command to generate the month to
> where the mails has to be copied, the created folder doesn't have
> correct accents.

This might be due to `locale-coding-system'.  I learned right
now that the value has to be the same as the one that the locale
uses and it might not be automatically set properly.

> that's really complicated... I think that it was a bad idea to switch
> to UTF8...

> When I send mails, I keep  a copy of the message in a file in a folder
> given by:
> (concat  "nnml:gposted."
>          (format-time-string "%Y")
>          ".news-"
>          (format-time-string "%m-%B-%Y"))

How about changing it into the following?

(let ((system-time-locale "fr_FR.utf8")
      (locale-coding-system 'utf-8))
  (format-time-string "nnml:gposted.%Y.news-%m-%B-%Y"))

The locale name "fr_FR.utf8" might need to be modified according
to your system, or binding of `system-time-locale' might be
needless.  Anyway, try evaluating such forms in the *scratch*
buffer (type `C-j' at the end of the last line).  I got:

"nnml:gposted.2007.news-12-décembre-2007"