Iceweasel (a.k.a. Firefox), MozEx, emacsclient and mailto: links

From: Sebastian Tennant
Subject: Iceweasel (a.k.a. Firefox), MozEx, emacsclient and mailto: links
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 15:06:55 +0200

I've searched this list and emcs.help for 'mailto emacslient', 'mailto
mozex', e.t.c. without turning up much...

I found a script, but it was for xemacs, it used gnuclient, and the
poster had to hack Firefox's about:config to achieve it.  Obviously no
MozEx addon around then.

In emacs.help Joel J. Adamson wrote

 "I use MozEx to follow mailto: links and edit text fields."

but declined to tell us how.  I will post a follow up to this in
emacs.help but I started penning this here, and the subject really
belongs here, so I'm posting this too...

So, in short, has anyone (apart from Joel :-) figured out a form we can
pass to emacsclient (courtesy of MozEx) that will help us use mailto:
links in Iceweasel, in Gnus?

My best effort, which, needless to say, doesn't work...

emacsclient -e "(with-temp-buffer (insert %a) (kill-region (point) (progn
(beginning-of-line) (point))))"
                                          ^

  MozEx puts the address string here ------

The idea behind this is to make it possible for me to switch to Emacs,
C-xm to compose a new message, and then be able to yank the mailto:
address into the To: line in gnus...

Sebastian