Re: IMAP problems

From: Bill Harris
Subject: Re: IMAP problems
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 08:02:33 -0800

{accidentally sent to hhj in email instead of by news:}

Hasse Hagen Johansen <hhj@musikcheck.dk> writes:

> I am using this in my .gnus:
> ;; For fetching remote mail from imap
> (setq imap-ssl-program "/usr/bin/openssl s_client -ssl3 -connect %s:%p")
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>         '((nnimap "servername"
>                 (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                 (nnimap-stream ssl)
> )))

Thanks.  I checked, now that I've got Gnus v5.11.  C-h v shows

,----
| imap-ssl-program is a variable defined in `imap.el'.
| Its value is
| ("openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect %s:%p" "openssl s_client -quiet
-ssl2 -connect %s:%p" "s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect %s:%p" "s_client -quiet
-ssl2 -connect %s:%p")
`----

I just tried

,----
| (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
|              '(nnimap "my.server.address"
|              (nnimap-server-port 993)
|              (nnimap-address "my.server.address")
|              (nnimap-stream ssl)))
`----

in my .gnus, and it didn't work.  I get a *: at the start of the group
line in the Group buffer (at least it's there now), and, when I try to
enter it, it says, "Couldn't activate group groupname: 411 no such news
group".

I figure I have to give nnimap-address; how does your Gnus find the
server?

Any other thoughts?  Any way to test to see if Gnus is succeding with
the SSL connection or to debug other parts of the connection?

Bill

{His reply, reposted with his permission}

    Bill> Hasse Hagen Johansen <hhj@musikcheck.dk> writes:
    >> I am using this in my .gnus: ;; For fetching remote mail from
    >> imap (setq imap-ssl-program "/usr/bin/openssl s_client -ssl3
    >> -connect %s:%p") (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnimap
    >> "servername" (nnimap-server-port 993) (nnimap-stream ssl) )))

    Bill> Thanks.  I checked, now that I've got Gnus v5.11.  C-h v
    Bill> shows

    Bill> ,---- | imap-ssl-program is a variable defined in `imap.el'.
    Bill> | Its value is | ("openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect
    Bill> %s:%p" "openssl s_client -quiet -ssl2 -connect %s:%p"
    Bill> "s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect %s:%p" "s_client -quiet
    Bill> -ssl2 -connect %s:%p") `----

    Bill> I just tried

    Bill> ,---- | (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods |
    Bill> '(nnimap "my.server.address" | (nnimap-server-port 993) |
    Bill> (nnimap-address "my.server.address") | (nnimap-stream ssl)))
    Bill> `----

    Bill> in my .gnus, and it didn't work.  I get a *: at the start of
    Bill> the group line in the Group buffer (at least it's there
    Bill> now), and, when I try to enter it, it says, "Couldn't
    Bill> activate group groupname: 411 no such news group".

    Bill> I figure I have to give nnimap-address; how does your Gnus
    Bill> find the server?

Hmm...maybe you are trying to access a non existing folder?
nnimap-address..you should replace my.server.address with your imap
servers address.

What I have done is. Added the above to my .gnus file and then started
and got to Group mode. Then I hit ^ to get to "server browsing mode",
and hit enter on the imap server...and then subscribed to the folders
with the u key.

    Bill> Any other thoughts?  Any way to test to see if Gnus is
    Bill> succeding with the SSL connection or to debug other parts of
    Bill> the connection?

I don't quite remember the "debug variable" to set, but you should get
some information in the Messages buffer

Bill you answered me directly on mail. Could you please copy it in the
newsgroup thread if you still got it?(so the discussion can help others)

Regards
Hasse H. Johansen

{My reply to him}

Hasse Hagen Johansen <hhj@musikcheck.dk> writes:

> Hmm...maybe you are trying to access a non existing folder?
> nnimap-address..you should replace my.server.address with your imap
> servers address.

Of course.  I just changed it for the purposes of this posting; my file
really has the server address.

> What I have done is. Added the above to my .gnus file and then started
> and got to Group mode. Then I hit ^ to get to "server browsing mode",
> and hit enter on the imap server...and then subscribed to the folders
> with the u key.

I _knew_ there was a reason for server browsing mode, and that was it.
It works.

> Bill you answered me directly on mail. Could you please copy it in the
> newsgroup thread if you still got it?(so the discussion can help others)

That's my mistake; sorry.  I'll be glad to, especially now that it
works.

Bill
- --
Bill Harris                      http://facilitatedsystems.com/weblog/
Facilitated Systems                              Everett, WA 98208 USA
http://facilitatedsystems.com/                  phone: +1 425 337-5541