IMAP problems

From: Bill Harris
Subject: IMAP problems
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 21:37:20 -0800

I'm trying to set up IMAP for the first time on 5.10.6.

Here's a snippet from my .gnus:

,----
| (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
|         '(nnimap "name.of.server"
|                 (nnimap-server-port 993)
|                 (nnimap-address "name.of.server")
|                 (nnimap-list-pattern '("mbox" "INBOX" "mail/*"))
|                 (nnimap-stream ssl)))
`----

I'm pretty sure I have the correct values for server port, address, and
stream; I'm guessing on list-pattern.

Here's part of the log from my *Messages* buffer upon a fresh start of
Emacs NT 21.3.1:

,----
| Reading c:/.newsrc.eld...
| {stuff deleted about logging into a news spool}
| Reading active file from name.of.server via nnimap...
| Opening nnimap server on name.of.server...
| imap: Connecting to name.of.server...
| imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect
%s:%p'...done
| Waiting for response from name.of.server...done
| imap: Authenticating to `name.of.server' using `login'...
| imap: Plaintext authentication...
| IMAP password for loginname@name.of.server (using authenticator `login'):
| IMAP password for loginname@name.of.server (using authenticator `login'): .
| IMAP password for loginname@name.of.server (using authenticator `login'): ..
| IMAP password for loginname@name.of.server (using authenticator `login'):
| imap: Authenticating to `name.of.server' using `login'...done
| Opening nnimap server on name.of.server...done
| Reading active file via nnml...
| Opening nnml server...done
| nnml: Reading incoming mail from pop...
| Password for loginname2 at localhost:
| Password for loginname2 at localhost: .
| Password for loginname2 at localhost: ..
| Password for loginname2 at localhost: ........
| Retrieving message 1 of 1 from localhost...
| Wrote c:/Mail/ {name of directory deleted}
| nnml: Reading incoming mail (1 new)...done
| Reading active file via nnml...done
| Reading active file from news.oneserver.com via nntp...
| Opening nntp server on news.oneserver.com...
|
| Opening nntp server on news.oneserver.com...done
| Opening nntp server on news.anotherserver.com...done
| nnimap: Listing subscribed mailboxes on name.of.server...
| imap: Could not UTF7 encode `quote', using it unencoded...
| nnimap-request-newgroups: Wrong type argument: sequencep, quote
`----

At that point, I have a blank Emacs window with a header that indicates
it is running Gnus but no appropriate menu items.

If I comment out the .gnus snippet shown at the start, I can read my
normal mail spool (POP3 on localhost, and all the newsgroups work.

Any tips on what I might need to adjust to get IMAP to work, too?

Oh, I do have a .authinfo file set up that works for the newsgroups but
apparently not for this IMAP configuration, as Gnus did ask me to enter
my name.of.server login name and password before it failed.

Thanks,

Bill

PS: This is not for a gmail IMAP account.
- --
Bill Harris
Facilitated Systems
http://facilitatedsystems.com/