Re: Why won't gnus display certain messages

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Why won't gnus display certain messages
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:10:43 +0900

reader@newsguy.com writes:
> In gnus there actually is nothing displayed for body.  But viewing the
> message with `C-u g' shows these mail and mime headers. I've chopped
> out or mangled some headers and all but two lines of what gnus has
> displayed for the body.

Er, is this a trick question?

You explicitly seem to have told Gnus to not display html by default,
and to always prefer text to html if a message has both alternatives:

  (setq mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display)
       mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext"))
  (setq mm-text-html-renderer (quote w3m))

Your example message has an _empty_ "text" alternative, along with a
non-empty "html" alternative, and Gnus is displaying the (empty) text
alternative (because you told it to with the above settings).  The other
MUA you tried displayed the (non-empty) html alternative.

The real problem of course is that the software that sent the message
screwed up big-time by including an unusable text alternative.

-miles

--
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.  [George Carlin]