Re: set mbox folder as mail sources

From: David Z Maze
Subject: Re: set mbox folder as mail sources
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:32:20 -0500

Teng Wang <twang.umn@gmail.com> writes:

> I am new to gnus. A couple of days before, I set up gnus as my
> newsreader. It works great. But I also want to read my email. Since I
> already set up mutt as my email client and I still want  to keep it, I
> just want to _read_ some of my emails in gnus. Because I already use
> procmail as email filter, all the coming email will directly sent to
> mbox folder. The question is  how I can use this mbox folder files in gnus.
>
> I have tried
> (setq mail-sources
>       '(file :path "path\to\mbox\file"))
> and
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnml "mail"
>               (nnml-directory "some\folder")
>               (nnml-active-file "some\folder\active"))))

Two points here:

(1) This setup will pull all of the mail out of your mbox file and save
    them in (Gnus-specific) nnml groups; you won't be able to read your
    old mail in mutt any more.  You might look into either an nnmbox
    select method or creating a single nnmbox foreign group.

(2) Backslashes in elisp strings are escape characters; "\"" is a string
    containing a single quote.  If your OS uses backslash as its path
    separator, you probably need to double it in elisp strings, e.g.
    "path\\to\\mbox\\file".

  --dzm