LIST ACTIVE x and GROUP x report different latest article info

From: Scott Gifford
Subject: LIST ACTIVE x and GROUP x report different latest article info
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:53:30 -0400

I was noticing today that when I hit "g" in the Group buffer I am
often told there are no new articles in some of my groups, but then if
I move the cursor to the group and hit M-g it turns out there actually
are.

I turned on logging with (setq nntp-record-commands t) and saw that
with "g" gnus was sending a series of LIST ACTIVE commands, whereas
with M-g it was sending a GROUP command.

For some reason, my server gives different latest article numbers for
these two commands:

    281 News.GigaNews.Com
    GROUP gnu.emacs.gnus
    211 13382 66502 79883 gnu.emacs.gnus
    LIST ACTIVE gnu.emacs.gnus
    215 newsgroups follow
    gnu.emacs.gnus 0000079882 0000066502 y
    .

Am I interpreting this correctly, and if so is this a normal thing for
a server to do?

The reponse to GROUP seems to be more up-to-date, and sinne I only
subscribe to a few groups, I tried (setq gnus-read-active-file nil) to
never use LIST ACTIVE.  This didn't seem to work (I still see LIST
ACTIVE commands in my *nntp-log* buffer).

Any suggestions to always use GROUP or otherwise work around this
quirk?

Thanks!

----Scott.