Re: What's NOV? Should gnus-nov-is-evil be set to t?

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: What's NOV? Should gnus-nov-is-evil be set to t?
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:15:57 +0900

> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Headers") ]
>| And Gnus uses a format internally that it calls "header", which is
>| what I'm talking about here.  This is a 9-element vector, basically,
>| with each header (ouch) having one slot.
> `----

> It looks like Gnus has its own internal format and I have heard that it
> is superior to NOV. So should users set gnus-nov-is-evil to t?

If you have a nnml group, you can see its .overview file, that is
just NOV.  It's a common format that most news servers use when
communicating with clients.  It improves the performance.  So,
disabling it is not a good idea unless it malfunctions in the
server.  See also `nnml-nov-is-evil' and `nntp-nov-is-evil'.