Re: C-c C-f is not bound in Article buffer

From: Leo
Subject: Re: C-c C-f is not bound in Article buffer
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 08:24:55 +0100

On 2007-09-11 06:58 +0100, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>> The key binding C-c C-f to the command `gnus-summary-mail-forward' is
>> not available in the Article buffer. I wonder if this is a bug.
>
> I'm not sure it is a bug, but `gnus-summary-mail-forward' seems
> to have been designed for invoking in the summary buffer, not in
> the article buffer (even if currently it looks possible to run
> from the article buffer).  Actually the `S o m' command which is
> typed in the article buffer runs `gnus-summary-mail-forward' in
> the summary buffer.  However, the way that the `S o m' command
> uses cannot be applied to the `C-c C-f' command[1].  That might
> be the reason it hasn't been provided so far.
>
> An easy way to achieve it is:

[...]
> But it looks to me superfluous.  I don't think both are very good.
> If anything, isn't it better to get used to the commands beginning
> with S? ;-)

I agree with you. C-c C-f is quicker to type that's why I use it most of
the time.

> [1]
> Gnus provides the `gnus-article-read-summary-keys' function for
> the summary commands in which each of command is assigned to two
> or more keys.  For instance, the `S' key in the article buffer is
> bound to it.  If a user types `S o m' in the article buffer, Gnus
> moves to the summary buffer that is associated with the article
> buffer at the time when the `S' key is pressed.  And then it
> reads remaining keys, looks up the summary command which is bound
> to that key sequence, and invokes the command.  The reason this
> way cannot be used for the `C-c C-f' keys is that the `C-c' key
> is a prefix command, which is used with some commands that are
> not the summary commands, so it cannot be bound to `g-a-r-s-k'.

Looks like it is a defect in gnus-article-read-summary-keys. I wonder if
it is possible to improve it. Although I know there are not many key
bindings starting with C-c.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

=>             "(require 'cl) considered harmful" considered harmful
=>           http://dto.freeshell.org/blog/blog-2007-09-07-2323.html