Re: Newbies questions

From: Karl Kleinpaste
Subject: Re: Newbies questions
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:24:56 -0400

someusernamehere <someusernamehere@gmail.com> writes:
> Here are some newbies questions about Gnus:

You really need to get used to reading the manual.  Nearly all of what
you want can be found there.

> * How I can receive messages each X time?

info://Gnus/Daemons

My use of this:
a. Scan for mail every 5min, regardless of current activity.
b. Scan for new news every 20min, if I've left Gnus idle for 20min.

;;
;; level 2: only mail groups are scanned.
(defun gnus-demon-scan-mail-and-update ()
"Scan for new mail, updating the *Group* buffer."
  (gnus-demon-scan-mail-or-news-and-update 2))
(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-mail-and-update 5 nil)
;;
;; level 3: mail and local news groups are scanned.
(defun gnus-demon-scan-news-and-update ()
"Scan for new mail, updating the *Group* buffer."
  (gnus-demon-scan-mail-or-news-and-update 3))
(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-news-and-update 20 20)

> * It's possible that Gnus play a sound with a mail arrive?

Unless you're kicking Gnus to life every time mail arrives, that's
probably not something you want to do.  On the other hand, most mail
notifier systems, including GNOME's (which I use), provide a facility
to execute arbitrary commands when mail arrival is seen.  Among the
things you could do is to invoke the "play" command with a suitable
sound file.

> * How I can send a new message in some newsgroup?

`C-h m' will show you a buffer's per-mode settings.  Look for what's
found for the binding on `a' in either *Group* or *Summary*.
info://Gnus/Summary+Post+Commands