Re: Problems displaying attached images with spaces in the filename

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Problems displaying attached images with spaces in the filename
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:19:03 +0900

> I have a problem with e-mails containing attached images with spaces
> in the filename. Gnus launches the display program, but instead of
> showing the image, display shows the "Browse and Select a File" menu.

> In the *Message* buffer, I see something like

> Displaying display 'jpeg:/tmp/emm.6484iRQ/a\ nice\ picture.jpg'...

You seem to have an entry like the following in your mailcap file.

image/jpeg; display 'jpeg:%s'

Gnus quotes spaces with `\' using `shell-quote-argument', so
quoting a whole argument with '...' is excessive.  Since Gnus
treats '%s' and "%s" as just %s, you can modify it into:

image/jpeg; display jpeg:'%s'

Furthermore, `display' seems to work without specifying image
types, so it will be able to simplify as

image/*; display '%s'

or

image/*; display %s

if you use this for only Gnus.  If you don't have a mailcap file
personally, create the file named "~/.mailcap".