Re: multiple nnfolder instances

From: Ted Baltz
Subject: Re: multiple nnfolder instances
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 12:11:31 -0700

>> Is there a way (with gnus-secondary-select-methods perhaps) to have
>> multiple instances of nnfolder?  I would like to be able to read two
>> accounts on the same machine.  What I have in mind is copying the
>> mailboxes, .nov, .mrk and active file from one machine onto another.
>> I'd then have ~/Mail and ~/Mail-external directories, each having mail
>> files and active files.  I'd like to be able to simply rsync into
>> ~/Mail-external.  Mail actually sent to this account would end up in
>> ~/Mail.
>
> Something along this lines should do the trick...
>
> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>            '(nnfolder "mail-external"
>                       (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail-external")
>                       (nnfolder-newsgroups-file "~/Mail-external/newsgroups")
>                       (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
>                       (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail-external/active"))
>            t)
>
> See (info "(gnus)Mail Folders") for information about these and more
> server settings.

Thanks, this did the trick.  I had tried something similar earlier, but
I imagine as is typical for me with lisp I was using
{too much,not enough} {quoting,parentheses}.

I never did figure out why nnfolder-generate-active-file wasn't working
with emacs-22, but this is better solution anyway.

Thanks very much,
Ted

--
eabaltz at sophont dot net