mail splitting doesn't work

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: mail splitting doesn't work
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 00:52:10 +0200

I customized nnmail split as indicated in info for gnu, but it doesn't
work, no splitting occurs either when I fetch new mail nor when I
respool the bogus mail group where all mails land eventually...

(custom-set-variables
 '(nnmail-split-fancy (quote (| (: nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent) ("From:"
".*Cron Daemon.*" "mail.cron") (To: ".*vms-list@voynich.net.*" "mail.voynich")
(From: ".*gentoo.*" "mail.gentoo") (From: ".*zenith.*@zenit.org.*"
"mail.zenith") (To: ".*\\(lisp.it\\|slime.*@common-lisp.net\\).*" "mail.lisp")
(From: ".*\\(@freelance.com\\|@dice.com\\).*" "mail.jobs"))))
 '(nnmail-split-methods (quote nnmail-split-fancy))
 '(gnus-secondary-select-methods (quote ((nnml "")))))

What should I do to have my emails split into the right groups?

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.