nnimap troubles

From: Jeremy Hankins
Subject: nnimap troubles
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 13:26:43 -0400

Hello.

I posted about one of my nnimap problems a few days ago.  There haven't
been any responses so far, and searching online I found an old post
about the same problem, also with no responses.  So I guess no one else
is crazy enough to try to split alternate mail sources into nnimap,
and that it's not even supposed to work.  Of course, if so, an error
message might be preferable to silently throwing your mail someplace
unexpected...

The other problem I'm having seems much more ordinary, though.  The
problem is that new folders (e.g., mail gets split into a folder that
didn't previously exist) don't show up as subscribed (or killed, or as a
zombie).  They do show up if I use 'A A' to get a complete list of
folders, and I can then subscribe to them.  I have
`gnus-options-subscribe' set to ".*", which I would expect would
subscribed me to any new groups whatsoever.  But it doesn't seem to have
any effect.

Both of these problems are somewhat frustrating me.  I've been happy
with gnus for a long time now using nnml, and thought switching to
nnimap would allow me to read my mail from my (soon-to-be) new laptop.
Unfortunately, the result has been an exercise in hunting around to try
and figure out where my mail has gone when people complain that they
can't reach me.

If need be I'll try to tackle these problems myself, armed with the
emacs debugger, a minimal knowledge of elisp, and virtually no knowledge
of gnus internals.  So any pointers anyone could give me (any at all!)
would be appreciated.

I'm using the recently released No Gnus 0.6 from:
http://quimby.gnus.org/gnus/dist/ngnus-0.6.tar.gz

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>