Re: gmail and gnus

From: Bill White
Subject: Re: gmail and gnus
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 22:49:47 GMT

On Sun Apr 29 2007 at 17:24, Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bill White <billw@mchsi.com> writes:

>> Unfortunately, gmail doesn't do IMAP:
>> https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=10339 but
>> there are some workarounds I'll look into (google "gmail imap"
>> without the quotes).

> You are probably better off in gnu.emacs.gnus

Yes, thanks.

> Why use IMAP? You can access using pop3. Works for me.

I'm sure no expert but unless I'm missing something, POP3 won't modify my
gmail repository to reflect changes I would make locally to my downloaded
email in gnus.

I read email from 2 computers on ordinary days, more when we travel or
when I'm in the office.  It's necessary for my sanity that my main
universally-accessible email repository be up-to-date wrt
read/archived/ticked marks, etc.

AIUI, this is what would happen with pop3:

- 200 messages arrive in my gmail account
- I download them to gnus on my linux box
- I happily read, delete, tick, archive, move, reply to various messages
  from my linux box
- later I access gmail from my windows box - all 200 messages are still
  marked unread or all are archived by the pop3 process I ran via gnus
- I snap.

Cheers -

bw
--