Re: Fetch an article from another package

From: Leo
Subject: Re: Fetch an article from another package
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 19:28:52 +0100

On 2007-03-25, Reiner Steib said:

> On Sun, Mar 25 2007, Leo wrote:
>
>> OrgĀ¹ mode uses the following function to open a Gnus link. However,
>> the downside it has when entering a large group is that Gnus will
>> prompt for how many articles to read. I'd like this function to just
>> get the article with minimal user interaction. It seems by changing
>> (gnus-group-read-group 0 nil group) to (gnus-group-read-group 1 nil
>> group) can solve this issue.
>>
>> I am wondering is this the recommended way? Any comments?
>>
>> ,----
>> | (defun org-follow-gnus-link (&optional group article)
>> |   "Follow a Gnus link to GROUP and ARTICLE."
>
> I'd suggest to use the functions from `gnus-art.el' that handle
> buttons like <nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.user/8816> or
> <nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.user>:
[...]
> `gnus-large-ephemeral-newsgroup' might also be useful.
>
> Bye, Reiner.

The link is of the format: gnus:gmane.emacs.gnus.user#8816 it is then
parsed into two variables GROUP and ARTICLE and passed to
org-follow-gnus-link.

It seems gnus-button-fetch-group is not the right function for this
task and gnus-large-ephemeral-newsgroup does not help either.

Let me rephrase the question, I now have group name and article number
outside gnus, what's the best way to fetch that article?

Thanks,