Re: Weird number of messages on server

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Weird number of messages on server
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:58:13 -0500

On 26 Jan 2007, daniele@mother.nostromo.wy wrote:

> Maybe a gnus bug, i don't konw. By the way, when I try to subscribe a new
> group from my server here it is what I get in th summary buffer:
>
> 5843864: it.arti.cinema
>
> I think that no group in the whole solar system has nearly 6 millions of
> messages,

Maybe there was a Felini vs. Antonioni thread ;)

> moreover if I try to browse this groups gnus hangs up telling me
> that it runs out of memory (no surprise) and suggests me to use 'M-x
> save-some-buffer' command.

Catch up with it (`c') and then you can look at the last N articles
(say, 200) with

C-u 200 Enter

on the group.  Once you start seeing new messages from your
subscription date, this won't be necessary.  But if a group has no
unread messages (as will be the case when you catch up), Gnus will
again try to get everything in the group, so you need to limit it.

Ted