Re: Emacs Mailer Options

From: harel barzilai
Subject: Re: Emacs Mailer Options
Date: 11 Jan 2007 21:53:14 -0800

Giorgos, I actually understood what you said, this is not
automatic among all the folks here who knew elisp and other
things I don't...I'll file that away...

But I have to admit I've not followed this thread (until today)
for the past 4-5 days while I worked on  rmail-spam-filter....I
had already invested more than 10 hours trying to get gnus
to just read basic email for me and there was no light at the end
of the tunnel yet...and apparently the 2005 version of gnus wasn't
new enough (sorry, as I said earlier, dreamhost won't custom install
for me so I'd just have to wait until they update it...and that
wasn't the only part of using gnus that was far
from  "ready out of the box")

rmail-spam-filter isn't 100% ready-out-of-the-box either
I have to admit but as of tonight I finally got it working...except
it marks everything as spam... but I think we (Alan Wehmann
has been extremely helpful by private email) will get that ironed out..
so it looks like a solution.. (one thing I did discover is:
you probably do NOT want to have a .emacs.elc to get
rmail-spam-filter working via customize-group!)

 I did learn the customize feature for the first time, which
took some reading, but even with that and a half dozen
bumps on the road the light is still closer at the end
of the tunnel, for rsf (rmail-spam-filter), than it was with gnus..

If/when I do, hopefully, get rsf  working, I'll send a short
report to the gnu emacs community with a plea on making
out of the box spam filtering built into emacs...Here's the
short version of that plea: spam has been around for a good decade,
and spam as a "big enough "problem is a good half-decade old...it's
therefore high enough a priority to have tools to deal with that which
folks who don't know elisp (even fact even folks who know less
emacs than I do -- say, folks who have just learned rmail basics
for the first time) should be able to use...Any other reports
which I may have of helpful things discovered or dangers
(e.g. possibly .emacs.elc) to avoid, which might be helpful to
others in the future, I'll include as well. Needless to say
I am grateful to the gnus community people who took
the time to try to help me, even if it didn't work
out for me given my lack of elisp background
nor extensive  linux background but just basic "used emacs
since 1989" day by day experience.

Harel