Re: Your opinion of pop3.el on m17.org?

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Your opinion of pop3.el on m17.org?
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:57:09 +0200

On Sun, Oct 22 2006, Sebastian Schubert wrote:

> http://cvs.m17n.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/root/gnus/lisp/pop3.el?rev=1.6.30.21.2.3
>
> seems to add the possibility to use ssl with pop and to fetch mail
> without deleting. Is there any reason not use it? If no, why not
> integrate it into the official pop3? It would make changing from other
> mailreader a lot easier.

The copyright situation doesn't allow us to include this version, see
the following comment near `pop3-leave-mail-on-server' in `pop3.el':

  ;; We can't use the UILD support from XEmacs mail-lib or cvs.m17n.org:
  ;; http://thread.gmane.org/v9lld8fml4.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de
  ;; http://thread.gmane.org/b9yy8hzy9ej.fsf@jpl.org
  ;; Any volunteer to re-implement this?

On Sun, Oct 22 2006, Sebastian Schubert wrote:

> Oh, it seems that the cvs gnus supports ssl with pop3:
> ,----[ GNUS-NEWS ]
> | Retrieving mail with POP3 is supported over SSL/TLS and with StartTLS.
> `----
> I thought the cvs emacs includes the most recent cvs gnus...

Gnus in CVS Emacs (Gnus 5.11) is synced with the _stable_ Gnus branch (v5-10).

> So the ssl part of my question is probably solved.

The news entry mentioned above is from the trunk.  Support for SSL/TLS
is not included in v5-10.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,