Entering a group : gnus-topic-select-group

From: Hadron Quark
Subject: Entering a group : gnus-topic-select-group
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 01:45:00 +0200

Sorry, but I cant see where gnus decides whether to prompt you for
number of artcles to fetch on group entry in the case they are all
already read.

I set debug-on-entry to gnus-topic-select-group, but didnt learn much, I
browsed gnus-topics.el but didnt really understand it too well.

Is the number configurable? If you could point out how you found it I'd
be grateful.

Since I mentioned debugging, is there any environment where I can
highlight a variable and get its value? Any sort of global/local
listings available? I looked at the info page for debugger mode and it
seems quite antiquated. What tools do you use to debug lisp?