Re: smtpmail, starttls authentication

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: smtpmail, starttls authentication
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:00:28 +0100

  HQ> Possibly only gmail smtp related.

  HQ> Get latest GNUS from CVS. Google for it. Although I notice that
  HQ> I'm using 0.4. Hmm.

  HQ> You are already using 22.0.50 I see. Me too : debian snapshot.

  HQ> It should work. Here is my relevant .gnus.el :

  HQ> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) (setq
  HQ> smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com") (setq
  HQ> smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com") (setq
  HQ> smtpmail-smtp-service 587)

  HQ> And google up fs-change-smtp : it includes the tls negotiation
  HQ> stuff too.

I'm not trying to use google as it happens.

I hadn't realised that you had to set the port number separately (it
was already in smtpmail-auth-credentials). So, now gnus is trying to
use starttls (or so it tells me), but the system just hangs on
connection.

I'm trying to use cygwin gnutls with NT Emacs -- this work fine for
openssl and IMAP support.

Any more suggestions?

Cheers

Phil