mails split by procmail, slurping them in via gnus: mail boundaries not

From: Martin Steffen
Subject: mails split by procmail, slurping them in via gnus: mail boundaries not recognized
Date: 04 Aug 2006 13:19:14 +0200

Hi,

I'm at a new computer environment, and encounter problems I had not seen at
my old env.

The setting is, that I want to fetch my email via

      fetchmail from an

      imap-server and use

      procmail to split the emails according to my criteria
       into mbox files

      which I then slurp in using gnus and the "directory" mail source

Currently, that does not really work, perhaps there are a couple of
contributing factors.

One thing that does not work is: If for instance I fetch 3 emails from the
imap server which are then put into one file (and not split using the
chosen criteria into a number of them),

       then they appear in gnus as _one_ chunk,

i.e., the boundaries between the different emails are not respected.

Actually, fetchmail fetches them not as one chunk, but one by one (as
one can see in the infos it prints) and the same is for procmail, it
processes the emails one by one. Only that afterwards, gnus cannot split
them into separate emails from the mbox-spool-file.

I'm not sure what the cause of the problem is, the same set-up worked in my
old deparment satisfactorily (same emacs version, same procmail file,
only that I switched to a different imap server, and that my machine
does no longer have a /var/mail/<user> file, but to my understanding,
fetching emails from the imap server circumvents this file).

Thanks, Martin

PS: I have not tried gnus builtin imap-capabilities, since I'm happy with
    the elaborated procmail definition I use.