Re: indicate email has attachment in summary buffer

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: indicate email has attachment in summary buffer
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 21:58:44 +0200

On Wed, Aug 02 2006, Frank Schmitt wrote:

> Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have just completed a project with 4 people based on emails. I
>> almost missed an important file attached in an email. That's how I
>> found an indicator of attachment in gnus summary line will be
>> practically useful.
>>
>> It happened like this.
>> The message, as we always include the original, became very long. And
>> the attachment in gnus is shown at the end of the article buffer that
>> I missed it.

The mode line displays something like "(2 parts)".

You also might consider this settings, cf. (info "(gnus)Article
Hiding"):

(setq
 gnus-treat-hide-citation t ; nice w/ non-nil gnus-cited-lines-visible
 gnus-cited-lines-visible '(3 . 6)) ; (top . bottom)

>> So I'm wondering is there any way I can have an indicator in the
>> summary line for emails that have attachment. For example something
>> like this will be useful:
>>
>> O +|31-Jul| Hadron Quark    | 160|@● Always show 20 posts
>>
>> The '@' at the beginning of the subject indicates attachment.
>
> Yes, this is possible, however it isn't easy, you have to write some
> lisp to do it: [...]

Or as often: Find someone who already has written it. ;-)

> Now you "only" have to write a function which takes the header and
> searches for "Content-Type: multipart/mixed". If it is found your
> function returns an "@", otherwise it returns a " ". This should be
> really easy for someone who knows some lisp. (Rainer? :-))

s/ai/ei/ if you thought of me. ;-)

;; rs-gnus-summary.el -- Auxiliary summary mode commands for Gnus
[...]

See the installation instructions in the file.  Especially the
following functions and variables are for the Content-Type:

,----[ <f1> f rs-gnus-summary-line-content-type RET ]

`----

,----[ <f1> v rs-gnus-summary-line-content-type-alist RET ]
| rs-gnus-summary-line-content-type-alist is a variable defined in
| `rs-gnus-summary.el'.
| Its value is shown below.
|
| Documentation:
| Alist of regular expressions and summary line indicators.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| Value:
| (("^text/plain" " ")
|  ("^text/html" "h")
|  ("^multipart/mixed" "m")
|  ("^multipart/alternative" "a")
|  ("^multipart/related" "r")
|  ("^multipart/signed" "s")
|  ("^multipart/encrypted" "e")
|  ("^multipart/report" "t"))
`----

(defalias 'gnus-user-format-function-ct 'rs-gnus-summary-line-content-type)

Then add %u&ct; in `gnus-summary-line-format' and regenerate the NOV
files as described in the manual:

,----[ (info "(gnus)To From Newsgroups") ]
|    A related variable is `nnmail-extra-headers', which controls when to
| include extra headers when generating overview (NOV) files.  If you
| have old overview files, you should regenerate them after changing this
| variable, by entering the server buffer using `^', and then `g' on the
| appropriate mail server (e.g. nnml) to cause regeneration.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,