Re: pgg or mailcrypt

From: Hadron Quark
Subject: Re: pgg or mailcrypt
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:41:26 +0200

Bastien <bzgNOSPAM@altern.org> writes:

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I can find no tutorial or easy "howto guide" for PGG.
>
> Yes, but (info "pgg") should help you in some way.

Not really as it doesnt answer the main questions (see below)

>> Where is mailcrypt tagged obsolete?
>
> The officiel Mailcrypt webpage has been last modified in 2002 (Thu Sep
> 26 01:19:49 PDT 2002) - http://mailcrypt.sourceforge.net/
>
> Maybe it's not *officially* obsolete (if there is some sense of being
> officially obsolete when a tool is still working), but apparently it's
> no being supported anymore.

But it works :) And is a supported debian package which requires no
manual intervention to integrate into emacs.

>> Can anyone point me into the right direction for using pgg from a set of
>> defined default keybindings in gnus?
>
> The "attachement" menu gives you a few hints:

Sorry to be dense, but what attachment menu? Is that included if I add
the pgg lines below?

> C-c RET C-s -> sign
> C-c RET C-c -> encrypt
> C-c RET C-e -> sign and encrypt
>
>> I cant find how to encrypt a post (only region) or  how to
>> interactively change the gpg user id.
>
> Here is the relevant part of my config.  Hope this helps.
>
> (autoload 'pgg-encrypt-region "pgg"
>   "Encrypt the current region." t)
> (autoload 'pgg-decrypt-region "pgg"
>   "Decrypt the current region." t)
> (autoload 'pgg-sign-region "pgg"
>   "Sign the current region." t)
> (autoload 'pgg-verify-region "pgg"
>   "Verify the current region." t)
> (autoload 'pgg-insert-key "pgg"
>   "Insert the ASCII armored public key." t)
> (autoload 'pgg-snarf-keys-region "pgg" "Import public keys in the
>   current region." t)

Unfortunately all "emacs regions" and not gnus posts/emails.

> ;; Emacs should always decrypt and verify emails
> ;; automatically
> (setq mm-verify-option 'always)
> (setq mm-decrypt-option 'always)
> (setq gnus-buttonized-mime-types
>       '("multipart/encrypted" "multipart/signed"))
>
> (setq pgg-default-user-id "[your gpg identity]"
>       pgg-query-keyserver t)
>
> (setq pgg-default-keyserver-address "subkeys.pgp.net"
>       pgg-encrypt-for-me nil)

Thanks I'll try later. But how to interactively change your pgg "ID"
interactively?

Should it just work with my gpg setup that mailcrypt currently talks to?
I'm kind of loath to mess around too much at this moment since its all
working nicely with mailcrypt.