Re: Migrating mail from MS Outlook to Gnus

From: Rodolfo Medina
Subject: Re: Migrating mail from MS Outlook to Gnus
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 14:58:33 +0200

Rodolfo wrote:

> I want to migrate my mail from Microsoft Outlook 2000 to emacs Gnus.
> [...]
>
> Any suggestion?

The following way seems to preserve the original message's headers,
so it should be fine.

http://download.mozilla.org/?product=thunderbird-1.0.7&os=win&lang=it-IT

I downloaded the package `Thunderbird Setup 1.0.7.exe'
and installed it into my MS Windows xp system by simpy clicking
the icon.
I launched thunderbird and with:

 Tools > Import

I imported Outlook mail into thunderbird. It took about
20 minutes for my 160 MB mail.

I started Gnus, and from the Group buffer did: `G f' and gave gnus
the following path:

/mnt/windows/Documents and Settings/rodolfo/Dati
applicazioni/Thunderbird/Profiles/rmdmn2ve.default/Mail/Local Folders/Outlook
Posta0.sbd/mail_folder

, where `mail_folder' is the arbitrary name of the plain text
file that corresponds to the Outlook folder you want.

Rodolfo