Re: a couple of newbie questions with gnus

From: Martin Jørgensen
Subject: Re: a couple of newbie questions with gnus
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 01:06:16 +0200

Malte Spiess wrote:
Martin Jørgensen <unoder.spam@spam.jay.net> writes:

Alexander Ponomarenko wrote:

Hi, thanks...

If I only want a single identity I suppose I just insert this:

(setq gnus-posting-styles
     '(("*.*"
         (address "email@email.com")
         (signature "Best regards,\nIt's me"))))

No, if you've got only one identity, you should not need this.
Ever tried the customize things (M-x customize-group ...)?

I didn't try it before now... But there are so many options...

btw.: what is "*.*" supposed to be? This is not a shell, in lisp ".*"
means match everything.
Try setting user-mail-address and user-full-name. I'm not sure about the
signature though. Maybe you do need the gnus-posting-styles for that.

Ok, thanks.

Final problem I think: Gnus stopped working now... I get something like this in the messages buffer:

Aquamacs under the GNU General Public License. Type C-h C-c to view.
The mark is not set now, so there is no region
gnus-group-quit: Wrong type argument: symbolp, (nntp "192.168.1.100")

I don't understand that because it worked earlier today with 192.168.1.100 (that's my news-server). What I did was to insert something in my ~/.emacs file which I found on google, but after this message appeared I deleted it again and now gnus won't start.

Well, the *Groups* buffer starts, but it's empty. And the gnus-menu bar isn't there... Really annoying... How do I reset everything (delete all the data that gnus has made) ?

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
Martin Jørgensen

Home of Martin Jørgensen - http://www.martinjoergensen.dk