Re: move ~/News ~/Mail dir?

From: Bill Atkins
Subject: Re: move ~/News ~/Mail dir?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 01:31:00 -0400

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I have been using gnus in my laptop with the default setting of News
> and Mail dir's for about 6 months. I have decided to move these dir's
> to another home in a server so that I can access them anywhere.
>
> The home in the server can be mounted to my laptop under ~/srcf. I
> have customized gnus in my laptop with these lines in ~/.emacs:
>
> ,----
> | (setq
> |  gnus-startup-file "~/srcf/.newsrc"
> |  message-directory "~/srcf/Mail"
> |  message-auto-save-directory "~/srcf/Mail/drafts/"
> |  gnus-directory "~/srcf/News"
> |  gnus-cache-directory        "~/srcf/News/cache/"
> |  nnfolder-directory "~/srcf/Mail/archive"
> |  )
> `----
>
> However, when I start local gnus it still will create ~/Mail/archive
> and ~/News and the SCORE file will be saved to ~/News too.
>
> Any suggestions?

(setq gnus-directory "~/srcf/gnus")
(setq message-directory "~/srcf/gnus/Mail")

is (essentially) what I use.  Most of the other variables you're
setting inherit the values of message-directory or gnus-directory when
they're initialized.

--
You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most
famous is, "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only