Re: reporting bug for gnus with pop3 function

From: Burton Samograd
Subject: Re: reporting bug for gnus with pop3 function
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 08:36:58 -0600

Xiaodong Xu <stid.smth@gmail.com> writes:

> I am using debian testing / emacs-snapshot-unicode / gnus.
>
> When I updated my gnus with aptitude to version 5.11+v0.4.dfsg-1,
> I found that it could not fetch mail from gmail by pop3.
>
> The related part of my dot.gnus file is as the following,
>
> (setq mail-sources
>   '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
>          :port 995
>          :user "stid.smth"
>          :connection ssl
>          :leave t)))
>
> and when I typed "M-x gnus", gnus first prompt to input password
> for my gmail account. I typed it correctly but gnus did not make
> any reponse. After one minute or two, message was shown in the
> mini buffer of my emacs. It said "mail source '((pop ...))..
> error" or something like that. Inspite of this, reading news and
> sending mail by stmp was not affected.
>
> If I switch back to gnus 5.10.6-1.NO.20051213-1, everything is
> OK.
>
> Anyone else met with the same thing as me? Or is there anything
> that I should notice with the new version of gnus?

I'm not positive, but to get pop over SSL you need an enhanced pop3.el
file for gnus, which I need for fetching my mail from gmail.  Try
looking at http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusGmail; there's a
link in the 3rd paragraph to a site that contains an updated pop3
library with instructions on how to install it.

Hope this helps.

--
burton samograd                                 kruhft .at. gmail
kruhft.blogspot.com     www.myspace.com/kruhft  metashell.blogspot.com