Re: using gnus for mail

From: xyblor
Subject: Re: using gnus for mail
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 23:22:49 -0400

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
> Firstly, is anyone successfully connecting and reading from
> pop.gmail.com?

I'm working on this myself now, with no success yet, but I do know
that have to connect with SSL on port 995. And of course you need to
enable pop access in the Gmail options. There was an extensive thread
about gnus and gmail a while ago:

http://groups.google.ca/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/browse_thread/thread/354ae098fe8476ac/fe90849e1de6b294%23fe90849e1de6b294

which mentions a website about this:

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~terjeros/wiki/GnusGmail

I suspect this website is obsolete in that as you don't need to get
CVS versions of everything now: pop3, ssl, and starttls came standard
with the latest XEmacs.

Also, I don't think .authinfo is necessary. If you don't specify a
user and password, you get prompted for it anyway.

Good luck, and if you if have success, I would like to know how you
did it.