Re: jed -> gnus newbie

From: Glyn Millington
Subject: Re: jed -> gnus newbie
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 10:19:38 +0100

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

> I getting more comfortable w/ gnus, but there's still some confusing
> issues.

Same here :-)

> 1. How are the bizarre letter combinations for some functions
> keyed?  IOW, for gnus-article-treat-overstrike, the gnus manual shows
> the letter combo 'W v'.  I know this is for washing verbose, but I can
> only do it using the menu.  There are others like G P a, H v, J M-#,
> etc.  How are these keyed?

IIUC separate keys are keyd separately, hyphenated keys are keyed
simultaeneously

W W h

C-c C-c

yes?

> 2. Note my 'Sender:' header.  Where is emacs getting that variable?
>    How can I change/disable it?

(defun system-name () "nowhere.org")

> 3. Is it possible to logon to my NNTP server with ssh?  Howzabout with
>    xemacs?

I believe so, but have never tried it! Have a look at section 6.1.3 of
the manual.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/BrowsingUrlsInGnusArticle

> How to change to root from user so I can do a quickie sysadmin.  Or,
> must I start emacs from root?

Now for that you need Tramp

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/TrampMode

hth