Re: gnus got lazy all of a sudden.

From: Fredrik Bulow
Subject: Re: gnus got lazy all of a sudden.
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 13:14:29 +1000

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> solution 1. If I subscribe to my ISP news servers groups as if they
> were foreign groups, everything works fine. When I start gnus or hit
> g, gnus checks for new articles and displays the number in the groups
> listing buffer. Likewise, if I define a secondary select method, I can
> subscribe to the groups and they show up as foreign groups and all
> works fine.
>
> solution 2. If I use l to list all groups and then use M-g when on a
> native group, it will tell me how many available messages are there.
>
> I have varified my group levels are all OK (everything is pretty much
> at defaults). This problem didn't occur until after my ISP switched to
> a new news server and now takes a full feed from somewhere like
> supernova or supergroups or something similar in the states. After
> they changed news servers, I totally reconfigured things and made sure
> I had removed old article number caches etc, just in case new article
> numbers caused problems etc.
>
> I also found that when setting up the system again, the new group
> listings and subscription methods outlined in the manual didn't work
> as advertised.
>
> I wonder if TPG has changed their news server or done something
> similar?
>
> Tim
>

> --
> tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

Thanks for your help!

M-g works for me. As a quick fix I might just make a macro or a lisp
function that checks all groups with this method and bind it to G.

I'm changing ISP soon anyway so if the problem is related to their
server having changed something, then perhaps the problem will fix
itself when I leave them *wishful thinking*.

/Fredrik