Re: How to decode a series of articles?

From: Mark Hood
Subject: Re: How to decode a series of articles?
Date: 12 Apr 2006 22:34:21 -0700

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:
> "Qing Xiu" <qing.xiu@163.com> writes:
> > I don't know what kind of type they are. But when I use M$ OE to decode
> > them, it works perfectly well.
>
> I would help if you gave an example...  I'm not even sure what you mean
> by "decode."

My guess is that they're yenc-encoded files in a binary newsgroup, which
gnus-uu doesn't support (at least in my version of emacs).

If so, search gnu.emacs.sources for some stuff I posted a couple of years ago
to decode usenet yenc messages.  The version I posted is synchronous and
decodes in elisp, so it's slow, but adequate for the occasional binary.  (I
also have a faster asynchronous version that uses an external Java program to
decode, but it's ugly and not suitable for posting).

-- Mark