Re: SMTP-AUTH and STARTTLS

From: Jamie Riden
Subject: Re: SMTP-AUTH and STARTTLS
Date: 14 Mar 2006 11:22:42 +1300

> Charles Collicutt <charles.collicutt@holyblasphemy.org> writes:
>
> > "Emily Jackson" <m5comp@fastmail.fm.munged> writes:
> >> To use TLS you need to have either the starttls command-line tool
> >> (available from <ftp://ftp.opaopa.org/pub/elisp/starttls-0.9.tar.gz>) or
> >> gnutls (can be installed via fink [if you use fink]) installed. I have
> >> the former installed and TLS works for me (at least it did the last time
> >
> > I have GnuTLS installed and I just installed starttls-0.9 as well for
> > good measure. Still no joy though.
> >
> > I just tried switching to a different SMTP server and found that Gnus
> > did not try to authenticate at all. My normal SMTP server is the same
> > server that I retrieve my mail from so it has an entry in my .authinfo
> > file, evidently Gnus was only authenticating because of that.
> >
> > smtpmail-auth-credentials and smtpmail-starttls-credentials both seem to
> > be completely ignored. I checked smtpmail.el and I do have a version
> > that claims to use those variables (as I'd expect, since they are
> > documented in the Info file.)
> >
> > Thank you very much for your help but I still can't work out what is
> > going wrong. Oh well.
>
> Did you load the correct smtpmail.el?  I'd guess that you ended up
>
> Try
>
> (load "~/lisp/smtpmail.el")
>
> or something, with a specific path.

Ok, I'm running Debian unstable, I'm pretty sure I've followed all the
directions at http://josefsson.org/emacs-smtp-starttls.html , and in
the above post, but gnus just doesn't seem to try to do STARTTLS.

*trace .. *

220 mx.gmail.com ESMTP h18sm1111047wxd^M
EHLO localhost.localdomain.gmail.com^M
250-mx.gmail.com at your service^M
250-SIZE 20971520^M
250-8BITMIME^M
250-STARTTLS^M
250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES^M
MAIL FROM:<jamie.riden@gmail.com> SIZE=1097^M
530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first h18sm1111047wxd^M
QUIT^M

.emacs:

(require 'gnus)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "jamie.riden@gmail.com"
"MYPASSWORD")))
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "" "")))
(setq smtpmail-local-domain "gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-sendto-domain "gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      smtpmail-debug-info t
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")

I have exactly one smtpmail.el and that is

% find /usr -name "smtpmail*" -print
/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/mail/smtpmail.el
%

";; Modified by Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org>, 2000-10-07, to support
;; STARTTLS.  Requires external program"

and I think I have the binaries I need:

% which starttls
/usr/local/bin/starttls
% which gnutls-cli
/usr/bin/gnutls-cli

I'll admit to being a bit of a cargo-cult programmer when it comes to
elisp, but I just can't seem to figure out why it's not working. Is
there any way I can find out why smtpmail.el is deciding STARTTLS is
not on the agenda?

thanks,
 Jamie

--
Jamie Riden / jamie.riden@gmail.com
"I don't see what C++ has to do with keeping people from shooting themselves