SMTP: SSL and auth, not STARTTLS

From: Randal L. Schwartz
Subject: SMTP: SSL and auth, not STARTTLS
Date: 01 Mar 2006 09:51:02 -0800

I have an SMTP server that wants me to connect to port 465 with SSL and auth,
but not with STARTTLS, or something sane like POP-before-SMTP.

I can connect to the server with "openssl s_client -connect
foo.example.com:465" just fine.  How do I get that into smtpmail's settings so
that it uses that for the connection on which to auth and then send?

Pardon me if this is a FAQ... I probably didn't search hard enough.