Newsgroup with large article numbers

From: Bob Babcock
Subject: Newsgroup with large article numbers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 03:27:04 GMT

Gnus doesn't seem to like article numbers greater than hex 7ffffff
(134,217,727 decimal).  This is 4 bits sooner than I would expect it to
break, but I see references to emacs using 28-bit integers so it must be
using the last few bits for something else.  I wouldn't normally use gnus
for newsgroups with this many messages, but when I did try it, gnus thought
there were no new messages.  Is there a workaround?

I see this behavior with:
gnus 5.9.0, emacs 21.3.1, Win/2K
gnus 5.8.8, emacs 20.7.1, RedHat Linux 7.1 (x86)