Re: Problem incorporating old mail file

From: reader
Subject: Re: Problem incorporating old mail file
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 08:16:34 -0600

Aaron Hsu <spam@sacrificumdeo.net> writes:

> I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that one of my main problems is that
> the file is so large, it is causing a buffer size exceeded error, and
> I am also looking for a way to read in the single file without having
> to split it up and manually import tons of files.

I don't use Imap so won't comment on your other issues.

I guess the buffer error is coming from emacs?

It may fail at the command shell as well.

How huge is this file?

I would at least try the command line.  I use procmail for lots of
things.  If this huge file is in a format procmail can understand,
like unix message format. (nnfolder in gnus) where messages begin with
the `From some@email.add DATE' (no colon after From) and end with
either a space or a dot on a line by itself then procmail can read it
with no special settings.

If you want to try this and are not familiar with procmail I can show
you how to set up a sandbox work area and spit all that mail out in a
way that gnus can just slurp it right up into nnml groups of your
choice.

Procmail can split in literally any way you can dream up.  It is very
versatile.