Re: verizon and smtp authorization have me stumped

From: Steve
Subject: Re: verizon and smtp authorization have me stumped
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 04:31:34 GMT

Reiner Steib wrote:
On Wed, Nov 30 2005, Tim McNamara wrote:

The only difference between entering your credentials into
Emacs/Gnus versus most other mail programs is that you write the
file directly rather than indirectly, so you can actually see it.
That doesn't necessarily make it any less secure.

I don't use smtpmail.el, but AFAICS it is supposed to allow the
omission of the password in the config files, both when using
~/.authinfo [1] and when setting is directly in
`smtpmail-auth-credentials'.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] See (info "(gnus)NNTP")

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the way it's supposed to work. You set password to nil in your .gnus, or leave it out of .authinfo, and gnus prompts you for it. Trouble is, for me it's not sending my username and password correctly in that case. It's only working for me when I put the password in my .gnus file. I think it's a bug. I haven't debugged elisp code before, but if I can find some time to debug this I'll try to pinpoint exactly where it's going astray.

PS - tips on using the elisp debugger would be welcomed!

Thanks.

--
-- Steve