help with splitting rules and help with bbdb

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: help with splitting rules and help with bbdb
Date: 31 Oct 2005 13:16:51 +0100

Dear Gnus,

I'm currently switching to Gnus as mailreader and have some tiny difficulties
setting it up correctly. My situation is as follows:

* I'm subscribed to a few newsgroups.
* I get mail from a few mailing lists
* I want to split my incoming mail into several groups, partially by hand.

The first thing I wanted to do is to direct all mail from the mailing lists

axiom-developer, axiom-mail and axiom-math@nongnu.org  to a group mail.axiom.

So I customized

 '(nnmail-split-methods (quote (("mail.axiom" "^To:.*axiom-")
                                ("mail.misc" ""))))

However, this doesn't catch all mail intended for the axiom mailing lists, of
course, since sometimes the keyword will be in the CC list, etc.

I looked at group splitting, but it looks quite complicated, I must
admit. Well, I'm open to any solution that works, of course.

The second problem is bbdb. Somehow, incoming mail doesn't get through to
it. Outgoing mail works great, thanks to some helpful individual Wolf! I have
the following in my .emacs:

(require 'bbdb)
(bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message)
(add-hook 'gnus-startup-hook 'bbdb-insinuate-gnus)

;;; TODO -- remove the mapconcat addition of commas, that get removed by m-t-h
(defun wolf3-bbdb-add-recipients-to-bbdb ()
   "Add all recipients to BBDB, using this list of headers:
         from, sender,
         to, cc, bcc,
         resent-from, resent-to, resent-cc, resent-bcc."
   (let ((fields '("from" "sender"
                   "to" "cc" "bcc"
                   "resent-from" "resent-to" "resent-cc" "resent-bcc")))
     (mapc
      (lambda (address)
        (bbdb-annotate-message-sender address t t t))
      (save-restriction
        (message-narrow-to-headers)
        (message-tokenize-header (mapconcat 'message-fetch-field fields
","))))))

;;; Could go into many hooks:
;;;        message-send-mail-hook       # too restricted
;;;        message-send-news-hook       # too restricted
;;;        message-send-hook            # just right!!!
;;;        message-sent-hook            # too late
(add-hook 'message-send-hook 'wolf3-bbdb-add-recipients-to-bbdb)

In any case, I like Gnus already!

Martin