gnus won't give up asking for missing article

From: Gary W. Swearingen
Subject: gnus won't give up asking for missing article
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 06:04:26 GMT

I've just installed a new OS version with it's package of Gnus
v5.10.6.  While reading through a newsgroup, gnus gets into a
seemingly-infinite loop trying (unsucessfully, probably) to get the
same article (as seen in a nntp-log buffer).  Is there a way to limit
the retries?  (I'm fairly sure it's not 'nntp-connection-timeout'.)

Also, is it really necessary for it to send along to the NNTP
server my username and password with every request for an article?
Is there a problem with NNTP connections not being able to be
kept open for long times because stateful firewall rules time
out and the authentication has to be done for each connection?

Thanks.