Re: Changing charset for posting news

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Changing charset for posting news
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:31:30 -0400

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, david@nospam.co.uk wrote:

> Although it has not caused a problem until recently, my use of UTF-8
> and "quoted printable" has caused problems in a newsgroup which I
> recently started using.  Basically, I have been told in no uncertain
> terms to avoid them.
>
> However, I am unclear how to change this, although I have read section
> 3.19 of the Gnus Manual.
>
> How do I ensure that, when posting news, my messages are sent in
> ISO-8859-1, and avoid "quoted printable"?

You can test this on a private group - no need to send test messages
to the 'troubled' newsgroup (UTF-8 is here to stay :)

Hit `G c' on the group that you want to customize.  Set the preferred
charset to iso-8859-1.  Save.  That should do it.  The Gnus manual
should have more information on this - I don't use it myself, so the
manual is the authoritative source.

The advice you were given to use iso-8859-1 globally will work, but
it's not necessary when you can override the posting charset only for
a specific group.

Ted