Re: How Do I Suppress Header Encoding For Some Groups?

From: Steven Woody
Subject: Re: How Do I Suppress Header Encoding For Some Groups?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:43:56 +0800

Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net> writes:

> There is no other way standard way to encode those headers, for non-ASCII
> text, besides RFC 2047 encoding, the process you’ve asked how to
> suppress. (And even that standard is only applied to Usenet by a process of
> widespread looking-the-other-way.)  So, what you’re asking is “this text is
> illegible because some web archiving software is broken. How do I make it
> illegible (perhaps in a different way, but I haven’t specified if that’s
> necessary)?” Not a very constructive question.
>
> This piece of advice will transform all non-ASCII characters in the relevant
> headers to a full stop, and may be enough for you if you add it to your
> initialisation file:
>
> (defadvice rfc2047-encode-message-header
>   (before my-rfc2047-encode-message-header-change activate)
>   "Replace non-ASCII characters in the headers with . if the region contains
> soc.culture.china.  "
>   (goto-char (point-min))
>   (while (re-search-forward "[^\001-\177]" nil t)
>     (replace-match ".")))

this method is not practical for what i mentioned no-ascii characters are
actually chinese, my native language. ;-(

> But I can’t read minds. What you should be doing is telling the maintainers
> of the web archive software to fix their program.

they refused to do that and provided a 'good' reason, microsoft outloop
express, which is a popluar newsreader, does not encode the header (actually
the subject line), so their web archive works fine with it.

-
narke