Re: header error

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: header error
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 10:24:10 +0200

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 02:00:46 GMT, Haines wrote:

> I have these two lines in ~/.gnus:

>   (setq user-mail-address "brownh@hartford-hwp.com")
>   (setq mail-host-address "brownh@hartford-hwp.com")

This last line is definitely 100% WRONG:

,----[ C-h v mail-host-address RET ]
| `mail-host-address' is a variable declared in Lisp.
|   -- loaded from
"/home/mohura/packages/build-area/xemacs21-21.4.17/lisp/startup.elc"

| Value: "koldfront.dk"
|
| Documentation:
| *Name of this machine, for purposes of naming users.
`----

When you set this to your email-address instead of - what it says -
the name of the machine, your Message-Id will have two '@'-signs and
therefore be invalid.

Where did you get the idea to set mail-host-address like this?

[...]

> As for mail-host-address, it uses (system-name) (but I don't know how
> to display the current value of a variable in emacs).

You can use - tada - C-h v variable-name RET.

You can run a function (like (system-name)) by simply placing your
cursor after the closing paren and pressing C-x C-e.

> I am very uncertain how I should have defined /etc/mailname, but here
> I've changed it to "brownh@hartford-hwp.com", but it didn't help. I'm
> also very uncertain as to how to define /etc/hostname, and I used the
> value "teufel.hartford-hwp.com". Some places I read seemed to say I
> should use the FQDN, rather than local hostname ("teufel"). I've asked
> around on both of these issues, but never got a reply. I'd love to
> hear some wise advice here.

This is all not that relevant to Gnus (how you configure your box),
but setting user-mail-address should bypass this anyway, I would
assume.

> In any case, I don't see that it would cause the header From: line
> to be missing entirely.

No, that is a little strange. Doesn't happen here.

If I were you, I'd either locate the line in my configuration that
makes the From:-line stop appearing (by commenting out lines), or use
edebug to walk through the relevant function to see why it doesn't
appear.

  Best regards,

--
 "Ge mig en vinterdrog, ge mig allt du har                    Adam Sjøgren
  Kom nu jag är kroniskt låg, bara mörkret hörs"         asjo@koldfront.dk