Re: ancient articles

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: ancient articles
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:53:20 +0200

On 04 Apr 2005 11:04:55 +0100, Phillip wrote:

Adam> If so, the answer is right there in the info-node that Reiner
Adam> Steib quoted: an article is ancient if it has been marked read
Adam> in a previous session (not the current session). Simple as that.

Adam> Sorry if I misunderstood you and the above was obvious.

> Then I don't understand what is happening.

> I use auto-expiry on my main mail box, moving stuff to an old mail
> box after 30 days.

> If I look at my mail box now, I have a pile of messages marked as
> "O", then a set of messages marked as "!" (ticked, which I have
> marked so that they stay around). And then messages marked as "E" or
> "EA".

> If I look at the dates, those marked E (expired) are all less than
> 30 days old. The ones marked as "O" can be much older. They are
> certainly not all of my old mail messages, most of which have
> expired correctly.

> None of which seems to relate to messages read in previous sessions
> (presumably a session being an gnus/emacs restart).

I don't think the 'O' interacts with expiry in any way, but I'm
certainly not an expiry-expert in any way (I don't use it at home, I
use it casually at work, and I've never used auto-expire).

When investigating why some articles older than 30 days aren't expired
I would ignore the 'O', if I were you, I think.

Hopefully someone with better understanding of this can jump in and
enlighten things.

  Best regards,

   Adam

--
 "Vilken sanning, Måns, är sann?"                             Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk